Feeding Chickens Cracked Corn

Feeding chickens cracked corn is an excellent way to keep them entertained and stimulated, but you should also feed them whole corn or scraps as an excellent way of adding protein-rich foodstuffs into their diets.

Chewy Online Pet Supplies

35% Off at Chewy.com

+ Free Shipping

Save Now

Chickens require an ample diet with at least 90 percent consisting of grains and fruits; the remaining 10 percent should consist of treats or table scraps as treats and table scraps are essential components of their overall wellbeing and happiness. Providing variety is key for their wellbeing and to ensuring optimal health and welfare.


Scratch feed

Cracked corn provides energy for chickens to run around and lay their eggs, and can be an economical and easily accessible source of carbohydrates. Although inexpensive and easily available, cracked corn should only be fed as an occasional treat as it lacks essential laying hen protein and too much may cause feather loss, poor eggshell quality, or reduced hatchability rates.

If you plan to use cracked corn for your flock, follow these best practices:

Winter feed

Cracked corn provides an excellent source of energy for chickens. However, its intake should be limited to prevent health complications; to do so safely. A vet or animal nutritionist can offer expert guidance as to the optimal dosage according to age, breed and other factors. Cracked corn’s nutrients help boost body heat in winter flocks while offering them something fun to peck at; the bird-lovers may enjoy picking apart crack corn for hidden kernels!

Feeding cracked corn as a treat or supplement meal allows chickens to experience more variety in their diet, which can help ease boredom and stress in the coop. However, as cracker corn lacks essential proteins for chickens’ development and egg production, too much of it could reduce production or diminish quality; to prevent this happening a balanced diet including fresh produce as well as table scraps is recommended to maintain egg production levels and quality.


Cracked corn is an effective way to attract chickens back into their coop for food. However, use should be limited and carefully considered, since excessive exposure may cause health problems like poor eggshell quality and feather loss in too much quantity. Furthermore, cracked corn isn’t appropriate for chickens aged under one year old.

Hens require a diet rich in protein to maximize egg production and feed efficiency, preventing decreased egg production due to lack of proteins found in crack corn or scratch grains alone. A diet consisting of only cracked corn can result in decreased egg production as well as feather plucking from rival roosters, leading to further feather damage among your flock. By providing cracked corn mixed with other treats and commercial feed products like mealworms (high in both energy and protein content), along with greens, collard greens, apples and watermelons (rich in vitamins minerals and fiber), your flock can remain happy and healthy throughout their lives.

Large flocks

Chickens require many calories in their diet to remain warm and productive, as well as receiving other essential vitamins and nutrients. Therefore, it’s wise to consult a veterinarian or animal nutritionist for tailored dietary advice, tailored specifically to each age range, breed type, health conditions and goals like egg production.

Cracked corn should be fed to large flocks in moderation as a healthy treat that provides protein, carbohydrates and minerals – it also serves to relieve boredom and pecking behavior in hens.

Scatter cracked corn around your yard so the chickens will have something to scratch and dig for. This will awaken their natural foraging instincts while giving them an excellent workout!