My Cat Took Moldy Food

Moldy food — particularly bread, pasta, cheese and nuts that have been composted — is toxic to dogs, cats, horses, livestock and wildlife alike. It contains tremorgenic mycotoxins which may cause vomiting, agitation, incoordination seizures and elevated body temperature.

Chewy Online Pet Supplies

35% Off at

+ Free Shipping

Save Now

Symptoms can appear within 24 hours and be life-threatening if not addressed. Treatment primarily focuses on controlling tremors in your pet and keeping them cool and hydrated.



Cats suffering from mold poisoning typically display vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. In rare cases, cats may show more severe signs such as tremors and hemorrhages.

Generally, if you suspect your cat has ingested moldy food, take him to the veterinarian immediately. They will perform a full physical exam, take an extensive medical history from you and run various tests to identify what caused his symptoms.

In most cases of adverse dietary reactions, clinical symptoms improve after the cat’s diet is changed to more natural food. Additionally, veterinarians will take a skin sample in order to rule out fleas or parasites as potential causes.


If your cat ate moldy food, it’s essential to contact your veterinarian promptly. Doing so will guarantee that they provide your pet with the most comprehensive treatment for mold exposure.

Common symptoms of mold exposure include vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and weakness. Your veterinarian can provide medications to treat these symptoms as well as suggest dietary modifications.

Your veterinarian will also check your cat’s urine, blood and tissues for signs of mold or mycotoxins to identify the source. This may require additional tests or specialized lab services.

To prevent your cat from ingestion moldy food, store it in an air-tight container. Additionally, ensure their litter box is clean and there’s no humidity present in their environment.


Thankfully, there are ways to prevent moldy food from ever making it into your home. One such step involves storing pet food and water in airtight containers so it remains fresh at all times.

Another thing you can do for your cat’s health is regularly cleaning out its litter box. Doing this helps avoid it becoming a breeding ground for harmful microorganisms that could lead to gastrointestinal issues and other serious illnesses in cats.

If you’re having difficulty keeping mold out of your cat’s food, try feeding them high-quality dry foods that contain fewer preservatives. This will help reduce the likelihood of mold or other toxins growing in their food.

If your cat is showing signs of a toxic mold problem, it’s best to take them to the vet immediately. Your veterinarian can provide medications to treat symptoms and also offer supportive care so that your feline stays healthy and heals properly.


If your cat ate moldy food, it can lead to serious health complications. In extreme cases, they might not be able to walk or move at all and may even succumb.

Ingestion of moldy foods can also cause tremors, seizures, abdominal pain and fever in pets. These symptoms usually manifest within a few hours to days after your pet consumes the harmful food.

Maintain the cleanliness and dryness of all your pets’ food and water dishes, especially if they use paper or plastic bowls. Doing this helps prevent the growth of bacteria, viruses and mold which could cause gastrointestinal issues in cats.

Your pets’ toys and other chewable items should also be cleaned regularly to help prevent mold growth. To do this, wash the toys, plush or rubber chews, or other items at least once a week.

Additionally, ensure your dog’s food is stored away from the litter box to prevent mold growth. In addition, make sure the litter box is emptied and disposed of after each use to help avoid contamination with mold.